Metasploit mailing list archives

Problem with LHOST on exploits.

From: egypt at metasploit.com (egypt at metasploit.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:33:22 -0600

The purpose of this behavior is to allow you to use a port forward on
a NATing firewall between you and the target.  For example, say you
have an internal address of 192.168.1.2 and your firewall has an
external address of 10.1.1.1. You can set LHOST to 10.1.1.1 and use
your firewall's port forwarding features to forward LPORT on the
outside to 192.168.1.2 on the inside.  If metasploit tried to bind to
10.1.1.1 on your attacking box, it would fail because no interface has
that address.

If a server is already listening on 0.0.0.0, metasploit won't be able
to bind on the "any" address, so it tries to use the specified LHOST
before giving up.  This is useful, for example, when you have a
webserver listening on 0.0.0.0:80 and want to use 192.168.1.2:80 for a
reverse shell.

Hope this helped,
egypt