Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: Metasploit Rising

From: Siim Põder <siim () p6drad-teel net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:20:18 +0300

Hey

HD Moore wrote:
All of this is changing. I am excited to announce that Metasploit
has been acquired by Rapid7 and that myself and Egypt will be
working on

Just wondering what would "acquire" mean in the context of an open
source project? As far as I understand, this should mean a
non-exclusive patronship of a company supporting the development of a
project by hiring people to develop/manage it full time. Similarily as
many companies could be said to have "acquired" linux kernel? Or was
there an actual "Metasploit" entity that was bought?

From the press release it sure seems that they are implying it:
"Rapid7, the leading provider of unified vulnerability management,
compliance and penetration testing solutions, today announced the
acquisition of Metasploit, the principal organization behind the open
source penetration testing framework and world's largest database of
public, tested exploits, the Metasploit Project."

(also, nice management talk from Mike about being "thrilled and
excited about leveraging the low-hanging fruit")

So, if you can, could you be a bit more percise about what exactly was
"bought" in this case?

Siim