Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: attaching a payload to an exe?

From: HD Moore <hdm () metasploit com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 08:12:20 -0600

On 12/12/2009 2:47 AM, kalgecin wrote:
Hi guys,
I've tried the following with the latest svn:
~~
# ../bin/ruby ./msfpayload windows/exec CMD=c:\\windows\\system32\
\notepad.exe R | ../bin/ruby ./msfencode -e x86/shikata_ga_nai -o
vlc-1.0.3-win32_edited.exe -t exe -x vlc-1.0.3-win32.exe
~~
but the exe vlc-1.0.3-win32_edited.exe opened notepad as it's supposed
to, but the setup did not continue, my question is, is it possible to
execute CMD and continue with the setup?

The msfencode EXE generator can use another executable as a template, but it overwrites the code in the original binary to create the new one. The functionality you are looking for is generally called a "binder" and isn't something we support right now.

-HD