Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: connecting to meterpreter without the framework?

From: HD Moore <hdm () metasploit com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 18:55:58 -0600

On 2/4/2010 9:33 PM, chris wrote:
Hey All,
I am playing around with the framework and I am wondering if it's
possible to connect to a meterpreter socket with netcat or telnet or the
like. The reason I ask is I have something in mind which needs to be
portable _and_ encoded to avoid av. Meterpreter is almost perfect for
the project I have in mind but it needs to be connected to a server on
the victim machine and metasploit is a bit fat and spread out(especially
in windows) to work the way I need it to. If no such program exists I
will set about writing one but if I'm just missing something I'd rather
not reinvent the wheel.

You can use the client library code in lib/rex/post/meterpreter/, but
its tough to do this with just telnet/netcat, since the protocol is RPC
over SSL.

-HD