Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: msfgui

From: HD Moore <hdm () metasploit com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 11:59:27 -0500

On 5/14/2010 11:47 AM, Ulisses Castro wrote:

Ok many problems and dependencies, like you said is very dificult to
mantain it in this way, but, how about use any language to build new GUI
interface and use behind the scene XMLRPC to comunicate?

This is reliable? Is metasploit XMLRPC mature to interact with all
auxiliary/exploits?

Its possible and its reliable (we use XMLRPC to talk to the product from
the Metasploit Express UI), however you have to deal with latency of
requests and in some cases, missing functionality from the RPC backend.
I can't go into too much detail about the Express implementation, but it
does leverage a central database along with shared local files to
mitigate some of the issues.

Its definitely doable (and we did it); whether you use Ruby or not is
less of an issue than whether the chosen language and toolkit will work
on multiple platforms. Some options that may work offhand, are AIR, XUL
(mozilla plugin), Flex, and Java. We would like whatever the official
GUI is to work easily on all supported platforms.

-HD