Metasploit mailing list archives

Managing Virtual Box with Metasploit

From: Hauke Mehrtens <hauke () hauke-m de>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 17:30:40 +0100

Hi,

I improved the support for Virtual box in the Metasploit VM control. The
attached patch also fixes some general problems in the code also
effecting VMware. This was not tested with VMware only with Virtual Box
4.0.2 on Linux.
Virtual Box does not manage the VM by filename, but it has a global
configuration were all VMs are listed, so in most cases the VMs are
already in there. Then the vmid must match the uuid or the name of the
VM. Adding VMs based on filename also works but is not that nice.

I did some fixes to the configuration export.
 * rename types to match expected driver_type
 * export all attributes
 * get the location from the driver. (Virtual box overwrites it sometimes)

There are still some other problems in there. The copy file to VM is not
shown in the CLI (for Virtual box version 4.0 is needed for this
feature) and some commands from the cli are not implemented jet.

The Virtual Box part need a function to import all VMs from the Virtual
Box configuration. This will not be that hard, I will make it.

Does the RemoteWorkstationDriver only prefixes every command with ssh?
If yes then it should be made generic in system_command so every driver
works with ssh.

Please integrate this patch into Metasploit as most of the Features are
now working with Virtual Box.

Hauke