Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: smb_login check error STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

From: yakup korkmaz <yakupkorkmaz () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 14:26:47 +0300

Hi Jonathan,

Disabling the simple file sharing solved my problem,

Thanks,
Yakup

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Jonathan Cran <jcran () metasploit com> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 9:26 AM, yakup korkmaz <yakupkorkmaz () gmail com> wrote:
After getting the hash of local administrator account, I use it with
the smb_login module. However, even with the same computer from where
I dumped the hash, I get an error as follows: "STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE".

What could be the cause of this error, what kind of restrictions could
be in place and most importantly, what could be done to get it work?

This is often due to simple file sharing, you should manually disable
it for psexec to work if the device is not attached to a domain.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

jcran