nanog mailing list archives

Re: CIDR allocation question

From: Vadim Antonov <avg () sprint net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 1994 18:25:38 -0400

       Given a site that has a need for a certain number of
addresses, but probably will never need additional networks to fill
out a power of two allocation. Should we allocate the larger block to
the site anyway to reduce the size of the routing table, or should we
allocate two CIDR blocks?

       For example, if a site will only realisticly need 6 class C's,
should we allocate a block of 8, or a block of four and a block of two.

Given that the immediate threat is the growth of routing tables, not
IP address space exhaustion it's better to allocate powers of 2-sized
blocks and announce only one route.  The IP space overhead is about 30% but
routing table savings are at least 50%.

Actually, CIDR allocation helps to slow down IP address allocation
by providing most of organizations an alternative to class B.  We have
sliced an eqivalent of 4 calss B to about 100 customers!  So the
2008 doomsday estimate may be kind of pessimistic :-)

--vadim