nanog mailing list archives

Re: ATM Utility

From: tjs () msc edu (Tim Salo)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 94 02:23:29 -0600

From: bmanning () ISI EDU
Subject: Re: ATM Utility
To: tjs () msc edu (Tim Salo)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 21:33:03 +1600 (PST)
Cc: avg () sprint net, nanog () merit edu, nap () hq si net
      [...]
I believe that ATM, even in its perhaps immature state, is useful and
cost-effective in a number of applications today.  In particular,
the cost of wide-area DS-3 ATM services can be very attractive
when compared to a number of point-to-point DS-3s.
-tjs

The minor point that might have been missed is that there is a tradeoff
between point-to-point DS-3s (at 44.7Mbps in clear channel) vs ATM DS-3s
(at 34Mbps w/ ATM framing).  Now if I can get four ATM DS3s for less than
I can get 3 point-to-point DS3s, then I can get a win. (raw bandwidth
being about equal... :)

Wide-area DS-3 ATM service can often be cost effective because:

o       The number of DS-3 local loops is often reduced

        [For example, three DS-3s connecting three sites require
        six local loops, while three DS-3 ATM connections require only
        three local loops.]

o       DS-3 ATM pricing seems to typically be distance-insensitive.

-tjs