nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comments

From: bmanning () ISI EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 11:04:52 -0700 (PDT)

Actually, I think the RA (in the context of coordinated routing registries
and route servers) does provide a gain.  Virtually all the RIPE papers (ripe81
and derivitives) indicate that a common route registry will become a critical
component in the internet.  (RIPE has had a functioning RS @ mae-east for
a number of years now)  The use of such services has several advantages,
including reducing the number of peers that you MUST peer with. None of this
precludes your ability to set up as many bilateral arraingments as you as an
ISP, feel you need.

Please be careful about mixing route registries and route servers.  I
think each serves different purposes & different arguements can be made
for the usefulness of each.

I presonally am not yet sure of the usefulness of route servers.
However I do think that route registries are very useful.
      --asp () uunet uu net (Andrew Partan)

I tried to keep it clear, although it can be very confusing.  As a point
of clarification, is the RIPE engine at mae-e a registry or server?
(feel free to jump right in here martin/tony)

--
--bill