nanog mailing list archives

pull-ups on route annoucements to deter route flap

From: Alan Barrett <barrett () daisy ee und ac za>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 15:58:54 +0200 (GMT+0200)

Randy Bush wrote:
To move along an other tangent...  What is the general wisdom on putting
pull-ups on route annoucements to deter route flap?

I don't know about the general wisdom, but Internet Africa (not a North
American operator) uses pull-ups for all routes that belong to
single-homed customers.  We figure that there's no reason for BGP speakers
around the world to hear the flap when one of our single-homed customers
drops a route.

Hence, you won't get the !H until you get to our border.
Los pobre packitos will travel all the way and then get whacked.  Seems
to subvert one interpretation one could read into the intent of BGP.

I don't have stats, but I don't worry about the added load.  TCP backs off
pretty quickly when it figures out that the packets aren't getting
through.  Poorly-behaved UDP applications are another story, of course,
but we hope there's not too much of that.

--apb (Alan Barrett)