nanog mailing list archives

NEW POLICY ON INTERNET DOMAIN NAMES

From: chehoocheng () cuhk hk (Che-Hoo Cheng)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 16:01:52 +0800

Sorry for my ignorance.  Can anyone give me more info about this?

NEW POLICY ON INTERNET ADDRESSES

Should be NEW POLICY ON INTERNET DOMAIN NAMES!!?

Network Solutions Inc., the computer networking unit of Science
Applications International Corp., will no longer assign Internet addresses
on a first-come-first-served basis, if the address represents a trademarked
name of another company.  If an individual owner of such an address refuses
to relinquish it, Network Solutions will suspend use of that address.  In
the past, individuals have registered names such as "mcdonalds.com" without
owning the trademark to that name.  (Wall Street Journal 7/27/95 B12)

Thanks in advance.

Che-Hoo Cheng                       | Email: chehoocheng () cuhk hk  or
Data Comms and Networking Section   |        ch () csc msmail cuhk hk
Computer Services Center            | Phone: +852 2609-8848
The Chinese University of Hong Kong | Fax:   +852 2603-5001