nanog mailing list archives

Re: Address clustering intuition

From: Jim Dixon <jdd () vbc net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 23:26:36 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Geert Jan de Groot wrote:

On Thu, 09 Nov 1995 10:16:39 -0700  "Walter O. Haas" wrote:
I've formed an intuition that, if all IP addresses were portable (ie.
independent of ISP) and assigned on a strictly geographic basis, then
there would *automatically* be clustering of addresses equivalent to
that obtained from CIDRization as a result of marketplace forces and
the practicalities of technology.

No, this does not work. Looking at Europe, I know of several ISPs
to which the shortest path from here (Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
is via MAE-EAST; they either don't have external connectivity
on the continent itself, or we have no provider willing to provide
transit between here and their continental connectivity.

This is a very strange argument.  There is always someone willing
to provide transit for the right fee.

There is a second, similar reason: assume that A and B each operate
in the same area. They use different carriers for transit to MAE-EAST.
Who of these is going to announce the aggregated announcement?

What aggregated announcement?  Under his scheme, IP addresses are
distributed geographically.  Transit carriers would be responsible
for getting a packet to the correct regional distribution center.
Carriers would peer there and pick up their own customers' traffic.

Note that this results from the address being, not the property of the
ISP or the end user, but rather of a geographic location.  In other words
under my scheme if I picked up and moved a hundred miles I'd have to
renumber, but if I just switched ISPs I wouldn't.

--
Jim Dixon                                           jdd () vbc net
VBCnet GB Ltd       +44 117 929 1316       fax +44 117 927 2015