nanog mailing list archives

Re: links on the blink (fwd)

From: rrv () uiuc edu (Ross Veach)
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 14:31:50 -0600

At 2:48 PM 11/4/95, Michael Dillon wrote:
On Sat, 4 Nov 1995, Hans-Werner Braun wrote:
Just let me ask you, as a customer who fairly
frequently experiences 10% packet loss between major Internet locations
across major service providers (no mom and pop shops in the middle or
at the end points), how would you suggest I deal with that?

Uh... Ignore it?
10% packet loss is quite within the normal range of parameters for a
packet switching network such as the Internet.

Sorry Michael, wrong answer.  1% packet loss is intolerable.  10% packet
loss is all but useless for serious work.