nanog mailing list archives

Re: the Internet Backbone

From: Avi Freedman <freedman () netaxs com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 13:53:27 -0500 (EST)

From: Avi Freedman <freedman () netaxs com>
And they solicit our customers, sigh.

And someone with 2 T1s to Sprint has been saying "We are *the* Internet
Backbone in South Jersey".

Everyone (of importance) agrees that in order to claim you're a backbone
you have to (now, not a year ago) be connected to at least 2 public NAPs/MAEs
and have at least one circuit that runs at DS3 or higher speed.

No, that is not correct.

A US Internet "backbone" is one which connects to ALL the NAP/MAEs in
the US.  Not just two.  All of them.

Perhaps you can tell me where PSI connects, good sir...
By my count it's MAE-East and CIX and nowhere else.
There are a few major backbones not at the Chicago NAP.
And none of the majors are at MAE-Chicago or any of the MAEs other
than East and West.

Everyone else is just a "regional", of one size or another.

If anyone solicits your customers saying otherwise, report them for
false advertising to the FTC, and sue the bastards.

WSimpson () UMich edu

Avi