nanog mailing list archives

RE: CIDR,Sprint and the Big Guys.

From: salo () msc edu (Tim Salo)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 22:18:55 -0600 (CST)

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 17:12:24 -0800
To: salo () msc edu (Tim Salo), nanog () merit edu
From: "Kent W. England" <kwe () 6SigmaNets com>
Subject: RE: CIDR,Sprint and the Big Guys.

At 08:25 AM 4/5/96 -0600, Tim Salo wrote:
Perhaps, the [anticipated] consolidation of ISPs will be a significant
event in the efforts to control routing table size.

Do we need address leasing to hasten that process or should we let the
market decide?  In any event, anyone buying up a bunch of ISPs will have a
difficult time cleaning up the aggregation of addresses they inherit.

Obviously, cleaning up the current swamp is difficult.

On the other hand, should consolidation occur, presumably a smaller number
of larger ISPs would use a smaller number of larger address blocks, (plus
or minus issues of the magnitude of dual-homing and changing upstream
providers).

-tjs