nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering Policies and Route Servers

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 16:37:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Ali Marashi wrote:

I had a few questions to direct to the group at large that I believe are
of a "network operational" nature.

(1) I have heard that Sprint and MCI currently require an organization to
peer with them at a minimum of three exchange points, where one must be on
a different coast.  I have been unable to confirm this directly from the
sources yet.  Would anyone care to share what knowledge they have on the
subject?  Are any other large providers (e.g., ANS) adhering to similar
policies?  As Internet traffic increases across the large backbones, could
this be a trend that continues with other providers?

Yep, and yes I think it will continue.

(2) Could anyone share opinions/facts regarding why organizations may or
may not exchange routes via the Route Servers rather than direct peering
relationships at the NAPs?

Well, because say that Sprint and MCI would peer, a provider would only
just stay at one NAP. That provider could then sell large dedicated
connections and in a way do it on Sprint's and MCI's network. I think they
they are trying to keep a lot of startups like me from growing and being a
large competitor.

I think that if a provider only wants to peer at one point, that MCI and
Sprint should not peer, but I think that if a provider lays out a network
plan and works to say get a 2 more NAPs in say 6 months that they should
peer.

Nathan Stratton           CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales () netrail net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34