nanog mailing list archives

Re: Customer AS

From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis () ans net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 07:57:02 -0400

In message <m0urb70-00080OC () rip psg com>, Randy Bush writes:
Not sure what you mean here concerning 'unroutable' prefixes, but the
issue with obtaining an allocation for one of the upstream provider's
CIDR block when multihomed *does* have its drawbacks, at least from
the end-user perspective. If said prefix (let's say a /24) is announced
in the 'allocating' provider's aggregate, and the more specific is
announced via the 'other' provider, the more specific will always be
preferred.

This is brain damaged.  Given

            AS1 ----- Sprint

            AS2 ----- anything else not Sprint

You can not announce a bit of Sprint space AS1->AS2->MCI as a fallback (note
the 'extra' AS hop) because Sprint aggregates your announcement and the
longer prefix is announced to the world via <anything else>.

Use Sprint space, bye bye fallback.

To the best of my knowledge (which ain't that hot), all other providers have
discovered suppress-map.

randy

Randy,

What are you saying is brain damaged?  The idea of announcing a dual
homed route as part of an aggregate?  Or Sprint?

You clearly want to avoid using space in any provider that is not
willing to suppress your more specific when generating their
aggregate, particularly since they can no longer pass the aggregate to
you (with your AS in the as-set).  We've seen this effect.

Using your own aggregate and allowing a customer to dual home, leaving
the alternate provider's contribution out of the aggregate is a
certainly not brain damaged.

Curtis