nanog mailing list archives

Re: NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 18:28:05 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Tony Li wrote:

   Ok, yes they added some memory and it is faster, but they needed to put a
   MUCH bigger CPU in that box. It was a jump, but not as big as the one we
   all needed. The 7500 was not any new technology, just adding more of the
   current. And no we are not tunneling through another backbone, we run our
   backbone over Cascade 9000 with clear channel DS3s.

You should be more specific about _why_ you want a MUCH bigger CPU.  IMHO,
the box needs more packet switching capacity (and more backplane
bandwidth), but there's enough CPU there for the OS.

Yes, the cisco needs more backplane, but the CPU cant keep up. Have you
not watched a cisco meltdown when you lose a few NAP connections. Yes if
you do not want to run a lot of BGP, have small OSPF tables, and don't want
to do a lot of filtering then the 7500 is fine.

Nathan Stratton           CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales () netrail net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34