nanog mailing list archives

Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

From: Scott Huddle <huddle () mci net>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 14:44:41 -0500

   It only gets really touchy if few of the backbones touch down in the area.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the case in which geographic addressing doesn't
work so well any more, and we have no way to mandate that backbones touch down.

Name a backbone which doesn't come into the San Francisco Bay Area.

Um, all of the rest of the world's providers.

This is the area I want to try the idea out in.  In terms of physical
touchdowns, they are all in place.  The only barrier is getting most
of the backbones to willingly participate in the experiment.

And whats your business case that'll do this?

A very significant chunk of new domains and new ISPs are here,
in the 415/408/510 area code regions (and 707, which is next door
and could be included if we wanted...).

So build it.

-scott