nanog mailing list archives

Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

From: "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc () imach com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 01:54:52 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 27 Jan 1996, Vadim Antonov wrote:

You may want to ask Sean to send you a copy of SL-MAE-E's configuration.
There already are *huge* filter lists, just to maintain sanity of
routing.

That would be quite informative, actually.  I might just drop him a note,
if he has time to read it with all of this stuff going on her in cidrd
and nanog.

I doubt you're going to need to add many filters :)

Heh. Never underestimate the laziness (overworkiness, underpaidness,
or just plain cluelessness) of netadmins.

True, and of course it wouldn't be their fault that they ignored the
message.  But it would make for some interesting stories...

It is not the tools, it is the politics.  Getting rid of nukes
completely is a nice goal.  Does anybody seriously think it can
be done today?  Not until we see the last of Kings and Presidents
(not mentioning Senators and other Servants of the people).

A net.politzai is a very unrewarding role, potentially leading
to real lawsuits.  Passive filtering with well-announced policy
at least gives no food for lawyers.  Sprint's policies are
a result of extensive consultations between engineering, marketing
and legal people (and activist customers), and is a way for Sprint
to protect its own network from the routing collapse.

I'm starting to understand a few more of the underlying issues here.
It's not just a "balance the allocations vs the table size and figure out
how to deal with the people who announce a /18 as 64 /24's..." issue.

It's how to do the above and not get sued or otherwise trampled on...

Thanks,-forrest