nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why aren't ISPs providing stratum 1 NTP service?

From: Sean Donelan <SEAN () SDG DRA COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 4:36:07 -0500 (CDT)

So the list works... if you don't want to provide "public" services, adjust
the server to allow connections only from your own IP blocks.

Currently I, and the company I work for, don't mind providing some services
to the "public" Internet community.  The company almost always gets more out
of it than it costs to supply.  I just don't want to get trapped into
"supporting" public services.  I get enough hate mail now when one of
our no charge services goes out of service on occasion.

A related, but more on topic for NANOG, issue is aligning more network
services with network topology.  I don't think putting a NTP stratum 1
server on the NAP network fabric is a good idea.  I do think providers
exchanging NTP across the NAP fabric is a good idea.  Redundant voting
catches a bunch of dumb errors.

A packet saved, is a packet you don't have to carry.  Its not as huge
a problem as multiple MBONE tunnels transiting the same physical lines.
But I'd rather have multiple associations at the edge of my network, and
pass NTP in a structured manner around inside my network.  The same thing
is true for several other network services.
--