nanog mailing list archives

Re: MCI [ATM overhead]

From: salo () msc edu (Tim Salo)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 16:42:34 -0600 (CST)

From: jon () branch com (Jon Zeeff)
Subject: Re: MCI [ATM overhead]
To: salo () msc edu (Tim Salo)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 09:04:44 -0500 (EST)
Cc: wolfgang () whnet com, nanog () merit edu

    Line Rate               155.520 Mbps
    Available to ATM        149.760
    Available to AAL        135.632

The reader can apply their favorite packet size distributions to these
numbers.
Having said all that, I am not sure where that leaves us.

That leaves us with the throughput of two DS3 links.  It doesn't seem worth
the effort given how short term a solution it is.

I am not sure I follow your arithmetic.  The line rate on a DS-3 is
44.736 Mbps.  You need to subtract several overheads from that: at
least some DS-3 and some PPP overhead.

How does that add up to half of the throughput of an OC-3c IP/ATM link?

As long as I took this opportunity to inquire, what to you mean by
"given how short term a solution it is?"

-tjs