nanog mailing list archives

Re: Allocation of IP Addresses

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 16:43:02 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Jim Browning wrote:

A.    a single allocation capable of supporting planned growth, or
B.    incremental allocations of *contiguous* blocks

InterNIC's current CIDR allocation practice does not support either of
these options.

Here's an idea. Let new ISP's reserve large blocks (say /16's) in 65/8,
66/8, .... but don't let them actually use these addresses on the global
Internet. Then, the ISP can run a Network Address Translation gateway and
give their customers 65/8 addresses while still using a chunk from their
provider's block. And they can switch providers without forcing their
customers to renumber. Then, after they have demonstrated that they
should be given a /16, open up the block they were given in 65/8 for use
without the NAT.

Of course, there is one little problem with this....

bash$ whois 65
Air Force Logistics Command (ASN-LOGNET) LOGNET-AS                         65
IANA (RESERVED-7)               Reserved                  64.0.0.0 - 95.0.0.0

bash$ whois 96
Army Finance and Accounting Office (ASN-JTELS) JTELS-BEN1-AS               96
IANA (RESERVED-8)               Reserved                 96.0.0.0 - 126.0.0.0

How did these guys get such big chunks of address space reserved?

The day to day implementation of policy by the InterNIC has increasingly
critical impact on our industry, to the point of controlling who has the
opportunity to succeed and who does not.  IMHO, it is imperative that:

1.    this function be performed in an understandable manner,
2.    objective criteria be consistently applied
3.    the criteria in use be publicly available, and
4.    there be defined mechanisms for the 'appeal' of decisions made in the
processing of allocation requests.

Recent experience and observation leads me to conclude that these
imperatives are perhaps not being met.  Am I all wet????

I think that the fundamental problem here is that the Internic is
fundamentally clueless about important issues such as global routing and
*BUSINESS* issues. They are behaving a lot like a government bureaucracy
or a regulatory agency.

I don't really see how this can be fixed with the current system of
having a US government agency writing a contract with a private US
company to provide a fundamental international infrastructure service!

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael () memra com