nanog mailing list archives

Re: Compu$erve RFC 1123 5.3.3 violation

From: Jared Mauch <jared () wolverine hq cic net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 18:00:20 -0500 (EST)

        I agree.  They should say deferred and let sendmail retry until
the local configuration says to bounce a warning or return the message.

        I will note, students.uiuc.edu also does this if a mailbox
is full.

        - Jared

Randy Bush graced my mailbox with this long sought knowledge:
The following bounce from Comp$Serve violates RFC 1123 5.3.3.  They have
been repeatedly informed of this and refuse to fix their mail system.
Hence mailing lists here prevent subscription by Compu$erve addressees.
I suggest that others, e.g. the nanog list, do the same.

randy