nanog mailing list archives

Re: BBN bitten again?

From: dlc () silcom com (David Carmean)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:32:13 -0800 (PST)

I haven't seen any traffic on outage-discuss () academ com  in the
month that I've been subscribed, so I don't know if this has
been hashed over already.  Perhaps this discussion should be
redirected there, but...

I think it might be useful to have a list that an ISP or other
Net user could check to see if a problem had been _reported_,
or to see the extent of an outage as reported by the users of
the systems in question.  I know my helpdesk people would like
to know about unreachable sites before they go having
Joe Luser tear apart his trumpwsk.ini.  I realize NANOG is
not the place, but neither is a cacophony like inet-access.

There are only a few vendors using the RA's IPN page...and
outage-discuss is for the discussion of mechanisms to report
such...why not just create a list for the discussion of
outages themselves in the mean time?

In a previous message, Jared Mauch wrote:

[snip]
and we can form a group that wants to go after vendors.
[snip]
      It makes no sense to report outages here, all the NOCs of isps
do not monitor this list, and it would not make sense for them to either,
becuase currently it has too high of a ratio of unimportant stuff per
important and good knowledge.

      - jared

Randy Bush graced my mailbox with this long sought knowledge:
Since early yesterday, much or all of BBN Cambridge has been down.
Anyone know what is going on?

I know this will come as a complete shock to you.  But the probability that
the BBN NOC does is above 0.5, and that the members of this list do is below
0.1.

Contrary to some people's belief, this list is not the worldwide NOC or
trouble reporting system.

randy

--
David Carmean           WB6YZM          DC574           <dlc () silcom com>
        System/Network Administration, Silicon Beach Communications