nanog mailing list archives

Re: BBN outage

From: "Charles R. Hoynowski" <charles () etak com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 17:03:28 -0700

Rob Liebschutz <rob () rjl com> says:

Most of the SF Bay Area portion of BBN Planet's network has been offline
since late last night. I've finally heard, via a friend who is a major
customer of theirs, that they are having power problems in Palo Alto.

Now, I haven't heard a peep about this on any of the mailing lists I'm on...
and since knowing about BIG outages like this would make it easier for
me to answer my customer's questions... am I missing something?

Is there a mailing list that I should be on? Or is this just a private
BBN issue that I'd need to call their ops center people about (people who
I'm sure are very very busy without small network operators calling them)

-matthew kaufman
 matthew () scruz net

I just spoke to their NOC and was told that a power switch that is
supposed to be able to switch them between 3 different power utilities
failed at 12:30 this morning (friday).  They bought and installed 2
large diesel generators today and are hoping to be back up using the
generators within 30 minutes.

We're trying to figure out how long BBN's been down, are you talking
12:30am PDT?  If so, then they been down 16 hours.  I started seeing mail
failures to Stanford (a big BBN site) at 9:33am PDT and first got email
about the problem from another ISP at around 11am.

--charles
charles () etak com