nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco's AIP vs HSSI

From: Avi Freedman <freedman () netaxs com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:58:13 -0400 (EDT)

      The orginal question can be paraphrased as; "which
      board is better" (see the subject line).
      Tim S. couched his replies in the form of an ATM only
      solution.  I feel that the HSSI board was not designed
      as such.  Your comments seem to back up my assertions.
      I would claim that for raw throughput, and assuming
      the DS3 daughtercard for the AIP, that the HSSI board
      delivers more useful bits at the expense of an outboard
      CSU.  This is based on my feeling that HDLC is more efficent
      than ATM signaling/framing.

Agreed...
But it's not a feeling, it's a fact :)

--bill