nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ungodly packet loss rates

From: bmanning () ISI EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 18:54:40 -0700 (PDT)

In other words, the big players don't like the "open" naps and
are deliberately not installing sufficient bandwidth to them?

No, the open NAP's are bad engineering and the big players are fixing the
topology by routing around them.

But people keep claiming that some naps are well engineered and have
excess capacity and that the problem is the size of the pipes leading
to them.  Adding more pipes is easy enough, leading to the conclusion
that there are other factors at play.

        In fact... :)

        To borrow from your FedEx model..

        We can build bigger doors (MTU)  but the conveyer belts are stuck
        at 100Mm/sec.  We need faster conveyer belts!

        (waiting for HPPI-64 or G-Ether technologies w/ baited breath :)

        And then watch out 2-4Gbps backplanes... (that is aggregate right?)

--
--bill