nanog mailing list archives

Re: Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

From: Jim Dixon <jdd () vbc net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 20:04:53 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Matt Ranney wrote:

to step forward at this point -- more Web traffic flows from the UK
to the US.  That is, there is a small net flow of _benefit_ to the US
and a very large net imbalance in _costs_ to the UK.

Obviously the costs are different, but how exactly are you measuring
"benefit"?  What if there are just more net-savvy folks the UK that
want to run Web sites, resulting in a higher ratio of servers to
browsers than in the US?  Don't those people that put up Web servers
then want people in the US to see them?

To my way of thinking, content providers are net producers of 'benefit'
and say dial-up users are consumers.  We adjust our prices to reflect
this: if you buy a leased line from us to run a Web server, we charge
you less; if you are a dial-up provider, we charge you more.

Most end users would agree with this model.  They pay their 10 quid /
15 bucks a month so that they can surf the Web.  They don't expect the
Net to pay them ;-)

--
Jim Dixon              VBCnet GB Ltd +44 117 929 1316  fax +44 117 927 2015
http://www.uk.vbc.net  VBCnet West   +1  408 971 2682  fax +1  408 971 2684