nanog mailing list archives

RE: Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () ibm net il>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 96 08:36:25 UTC

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 18:26:12 -0400 (EDT)  Gordon Cook wrote:
Cook: six global providers: Hmmm. Might they be referring to Sprint, AGIS
UUNET, PSI, MCI, and ANS? The so called gang or club of six that a year
ago were the exclusive direct peers at all the major exchanges? If they
are, then, by process of elimnation, BBN is not a global provider -which I
think is news to BBN, nor is AT&T, nor is Advantis, nor is Compuserve, nor
are a lot of other major players with more than a fresh12.5 million behind
them.   Gee. I wonder if BBN realizes that AGIS has relegated it to second
rank status?

Or perhaps they are referring to those global providers who are beginning
to move most of their traffic through private inter connects - and in so
doing are becoming a new internet apex? In this case they are not even one
of the five let alone six. Here the five are MCI, Sprint, BBN, UUNET and
ANS. I have been talking to a lot of sources, none of which is aware of
AGIS having any private Interconnects with these five.

When talking of global Internet reach, the largest is IBM/Advantis IGN.
They have 830 POPs in over 50 countries and peerings at about 15 major
interconnect points.  For details see:

http://www.ibm.com/globalnetwork/inetbbon.htm

Probably the best kept secret in the Internet world.

Hank Nussbacher
IBM Israel