nanog mailing list archives

Re: MAE-East still no generator

From: "Dorian R. Kim" <dorian () cic net>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 22:25:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Nathan Stratton wrote:

Well I am building one, just not near MAE-East. I think that if I build one
1 mile away and had 24x7 remote hands, AC/DC, redundant fiber paths MFS
and others, UPS/generator with redundant by-pass, and much more people
would not move. I know that some would, but to make it work you would need
to get Sprint, MCI, UUNet, and ANS to move and I think that would be hard
to do. Even if you were using my model and gave Sprint, MCI, UUNet, and
ANS free rack space and free gigaswitch port.

People should build robust enough infrastructure so that they don't rely on
MAE-East so much. The current MAE-East is a disaster waiting to happen. Just
hope that there isn't a flood in that area any time soon.

Oh, speaking of environmental conditions,  I hope folks who are on DC power
check their wire. Last time I was there, most of them were hooked up using
10 amp wire and were running pretty hot.

-dorian