nanog mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: SYN floods (was: does history repeat itself?)

From: "Justin W. Newton" <justin () erols com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:43:29 -0400

At 01:44 PM 9/12/96 -0400, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
I agree with you completely -- sort of.  Only problem is there are
thought to be some 3,000 dial access providers.  Many of them barely
know what a TCP SYN is, let alone why they need to block ones with
random source addresses and how.  Unless of course you are
volunteering to explain it and help them.  Thanks in advance.  :-)

We are currently blocking any outgoing packets which have a source address
which is not advertised by us.  I have also crossposted Avi's and Craig's
access filter list for Border routers to the inet-access mailing list which
has approx 2,000 subscribers, mostly small ISP's.  Maybe it'll help.  Maybe
not.

Justin Newton
Internet Architect
Erol's Internet Services