nanog mailing list archives

Re: SYN floods (was: does history repeat itself?)

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:41:09 -0400

Curtis Villamizar writes:
I think its time for the larger providers to start filtering packets
coming from customers so that they only accept packets with the
customer's network number on it.

Yes, its a load on routers. Yes, its nasty for the mobile IP weenies.
Unfortunately, the only known way to stop this.
[...]
I'm not arguing against your point.  There are some feasibility issues
right now that mean we can't just "turn this on".

Packet filtering on prefixes is only feasible as slower speeds with
current routers and even then it can give smaller routers a tough
time.

Fully agreed. This can't be done overnight. However, it has to be done
eventually. I'd say one to two years would be a reasonable
implementation timeframe, with a good fraction of the tail circuits
getting filtered in less than a year.

BTW, I would suggest that for a variety of applications, hardware
assisted filtering boxes that simply take in IP one end and put out
processed IP on the other end would be of use -- not just for this,
but also for helping in doing packet traces through high traffic
areas, for implementing firewalls, and for all sorts of other
things. Vendors, are you listening?

There is also a problem with packet filtering due to assymetric
routing.  You can legitimately end up with packets coming from
addresses other than those that you route towards and should not black
hole that traffic.

Yes, but this shouldn't be happening at the site of the customer tail
circuit, so thats not too bad a problem there.

At the single homed connection a router option to reverse the sense of
the forwarding table on a specific interface (look up the source in
the forwarding table and only accept if the source is reachable
through that next hop) seems to be a effective preventative that could
be easily just "switched on".

A very good idea.

Perry