nanog mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: SYN floods (was: does history repeat itself?)

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:09:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, John G. Scudder wrote:

Insofar as guys who "barely know what a TCP SYN is" are unlikely to twist
the knobs, defaulting filtering to "block spoofed addresses" seems like the
best and maybe only way to get them to do it.

If we can get config instructions for all the popular NAS boxes like
Ascend, Livingston, USR etc. posted to a web page somewher then we can get
the word out to a lot of ISP's via the 7 or 8 ISP mailing lists,
Boardwatch magazine and USENET. But for the benefit of those maginally
clueful people out there we need to have some fairly explicit
instructions.

I know ra.net has an ISP section on their WWW server and it wouldn't hurt
to point more ISP's at www.ra.net anyway.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com