nanog mailing list archives

Re: advisory attribute in IRR

From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis () ans net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 20:31:31 -0400

In message <199609170611.BAA18883 () westie gi net>, Alan Hannan writes:

  Curtis,

  While they don't inherently do anything terribly nifty, they do maintain
  stateful legacy information for some folks.  ( Especially folks who
  were around when AS690 ruled the world :)

  Some folks have built their scripted route filter list generation
  off of the information listed in the advisory field.

  Maybe those people should do it in another way, but the advisory
  field is actively used be some.

  -alan
   chief harbinger of advisory scripts

Hmmm....

  grep av: *.db.save | awk '{print $2;}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
     1 AS2551
     1 AS3819
     1 AS4690
     1 AS6113
     1 AS6461
     1 AS6467
     1 AS93
     2 AS4200
     2 AS6151
     3 AS3491
     7 AS668
     8 AS1800
     8 AS6076
    12 AS6122
    64 AS3561
    70 AS1239
   186 AS1275
  60957 AS690

Well..  I stand corrected.  It's just the 60,957 AS690 advisories that
do absolutely nothing.

Curtis

.........  Curtis Villamizar is rumored to have said:
]
]
] In message <Pine.BSF.3.95.960915124710.8860B-100000 () alive ampr ab ca>, Marc
 Sle
] mko writes:
] > Can anyone give me a pointer to information on what the advisory attribut
] > in the IRR does and who pays any attention to that attribute?
] >
] > Thanks.
]
]
] They do nothing and no one pays attention to them.  They used to do
] something for about 5 months but everone hated them.
]
] Curtis
]
] ps- blame Merit.  :-)