nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Denial of Service Attack on Panix

From: "Kent W. England" <kwe () 6SigmaNets com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:23:41 -0700

At 01:24 PM 9/18/96 -0400, Paul Ferguson wrote:
At 10:43 AM 9/18/96 -0400, Jeff Young wrote:

i guess the one common thread of this discussion is that whatever
must be done, must be done on the edges of the internet.  and that's
not a cop out, we have as many edge cases as we have connections to
isp's.

No argument here.

If that be the consensus then there is only one way to accomplish
anything and that is for a handful of large backbone providers to begin
checking and to require that their peers also check source addresses.
Otherwise it's just an undocumented BCP.

--Kent