nanog mailing list archives

RE: Wow, AS7007!

From: Dave Van Allen <dave () fast net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 17:32:17 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From:  Stephen A Misel [SMTP:stevem () hway net]
Sent:  Friday, April 25, 1997 12:53 PM
To:    nanog () merit edu
Subject:       Wow, AS7007!

I happened to be in one of our 7505 routers this afternoon when POP -- all
of a sudden most of the internet disappeared!  I immediately thought it was
me, but looked around and saw this AS7007 broadcasting MY routes!

[...]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

      (1)  We're going to read about this in EVERY computer magazine, newspaper
and TV as "the end of the internet?"

Probably. It's newsworthy in that it punctuates the statement "Nearly anyone
with a BGP router in hand can instantly core-dump the global routing tables"

      (2)  Access lists by backbone providers *should* have prevented this.

Mostly.  An ISP, whether large or small that BGP's with customers can indeed
do distribute ACL's both on AS heard, and routes learned, including masks.
You can easily re-announce or announce only what you want, or not announce or
re-announce routes that are inconsistent with your policy or ACL's.

      (3)  Does or does not the RADB and other routing registries (MCI's, etc)
prevent this?

It helps, but all you need are a few ingress' that do not filter and you can
pollute enough of the core to hose it very nicely indeed.

I bet this hole will be patched up real soon!

I don't think so.  I'm not sure that this is as much a "hole" as it is a
relationship and trust issue.  Right now, when things go OK, the routing
policies on Net work pretty well.  Unarguably, they need refining, but
all-in-all the Net still relies mostly on trust, as it has from the
beginning.  If we simply take all trust away, then the current topology would
not work, and may not be able to be made to work quickly enough, without even
more disasters.

This exact thing has happened before, and potentially will happen again
because all it can take is one typo under 'router bgp xxxxx' at the right
place, in the right network, and the Internet can go quickly to /dev/null.
This is the trust factor.  We all rely on the fact that router-jocks won't
typo, will filter where appropriate, and will educate rookies prior to
whispering the enable passwd to them.

A few things would help, IMO - All BGP should be authenticated, and all
neighbors should be ACL'd.

Now after spending 4 hours announcing more specifics to cover the bogon
routes so we could play Internet today for a bit, it's time to be a
good-netcitizen and see if I can't re-CIDR myself.  Then it's off to the
Scotch locker! :-)

Best regards,

Dave Van Allen - You Tools Corporation/FASTNET(tm)
dave () fast net (610)289-1100 http://www.fast.net
FASTNET - PA/NJ/DE Business Internet Solutions