nanog mailing list archives

Re: ip directed-broadcast

From: Eric Wieling <eric () ccti net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:14:39 -0600

On Mon, Dec 29, 1997 at 12:42:50PM -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:

2.)   they will no longer filter icmp echo reply for me, even though
        they understand that my link is now useless without that.
    They do not have cpu cycles to spare for this purpose.

Somewhat understandable...but perhaps they should have designed their
network a little better and not overloaded their routers to point that one
or few line filters push the CPU over the edge....Strike 2.

3.)   they do not see this type of attack very often and don't
        consider it much of a problem.

Sure...it causes them very little trouble.  Odds are good their NOC gets
smurfed very rarely.  Strike 3.

We have a T-1 to Sprint, served out of their Ft. Worth POP.  If I
down the T on our end, does anyone know if the Sprint (or MCI, or
UUNET, etc) router will send back ICMP host/network unreachable
messages?

I ask because if the core routers DO send back ICMP host/network
unreachables and a customer that is being smurfed turns down their T,
I'd imagine that the core router would generate a heck of a lot of
traffic.  It might be enough to catch someone's attention.

-- Eric, who does not have a lot of patience with companies that don't
seem to care about smurfing.

--
Eric Wieling (eric () ccti net), Corporate Communications Technology
Sales: 504-585-7303 (sales () ccti net), Support: 504-525-5449 (support () ccti net)

Paranoia: It's not just for breakfast anymore.