nanog mailing list archives

Re: FW: IAHC/IANA Verdict

From: John Curran <jcurran () bbnplanet com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:57:19 -0500

At 12:49 2/5/97, Jim Fleming wrote:

In the "darwinian" world of the Internet, it is important for the
entire Internet community to select only the "best of the net", as
the net expands.

In the interest of making progress and getting people to focus on
the large administrative and technical tasks facing everyone that
really operate the Internet, I suggest that we debate which of the
above names have merit and have registries standing behind them
ready to support them.

In my opinion, only the .WEB Top Level Domain qualfies for
consideration at this time. If people know of other registries
that have stepped forward to support any of the other TLDs,
please speak up.

Jim,

  I don't know if I qualify as one of the folks who
  "really operate the Internet", but I'd like to point
  out that we have customers who would like to have
  a readable, logical domain name and willing to be
  outside of ".com".  Each of these domains seems to
  be well-thought out and I don't think they will be
  any shortage of users or candidate registries.

  If you need to know that there will be a registry
  for each new gTLD, then I'm willing to run any of
  them that cannot otherwise find a home.

/John