nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sprint?

From: Paul A Vixie <paul () vix com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:25:54 -0700

The cause of this is not the OS, per se, its the version of BIND that
it incorporates. Recent versions do character checking before
accepting the response. This avoids nasty buffer overflows and the
like.

yes.

I can sympathize with Sprint's delay since my network has the same
problem. On OSen which included this newer version of BIND for which I
had source, I had to kinda "break" it to get name resolution until
such time as people decide on a new naming schema.

wierd.  all you have to say on 4.9.6 is:

        check-names response ignore

whereas on 8.1.1 it's

        options {
                check-names response ignore;
        };

note the ";" in the second example.

what part of the source did you have to tweak?