nanog mailing list archives

Re: Keynote/Boardwatch Internet Backbone Index A better test!!!

From: Peter Giza <giza () adsmart net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 16:11:51 -0400

Gene Shklar wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. We're considering doing a follow-up and perhaps making
this a regular feature every 2 or 4 months thereafter. We've received a few suggestions
for methodology changes/enhancements, and also several emails so far denouncing our
methodology but not explaining why (which is typical of people in many areas -- politics,
the environment, economics, whatever -- who disagree emotionally but not intellectually
with the conclusions of a study).

My disagreement isn't based on emotion.  If you had followed the thread
you would have
picked up on the point that under _most_ circumstances, the
ISP/NSP/IXP's web servers
are typically _not_ on the fastest part of their network.  They leave
this space for
revenue generating customers.

The current methodology generally shows how a web site connected to a particular
backbone appears to the general internet population of users. The results are intended
to be a guide (but not the only one) for helping web sites select or evaluate a collocation,
hosting, or access provider.

Your going to need cooperation from these sites to put a resource in
their colo space
not use their web server.  A better way to tackle this would be to
solicit the cooperation
of one or two of their actual customers who provide a service from that
backbone.

Your methodology suggestion would be useful to include because its results would also help
end-users select their dial-up ISPs based on the backbone that those ISPs are connected
to.

I highly doubt this will really help anyone pick an ISP correctly.  It
doesn't show
the most annoying side of the equation; getting connected.  What is the
ISP user to
modem ratio?  What is their customer to bandwidth ration?  etc.  I doubt
the average
joe-user will even think or ask this.

I don't have an issue with somebody trying to provide QoS info about
ISP/NSP etc, but
you can't do it just by downloading 56k of data.  There is a lot more to
it.  How
do each segments behave with differing packet sizes, etc.  Fragmentation
will take its
toll.  I could go on but I should do some real work.

Gene Shklar
Gene Shklar                     GeneShklar () keynote com
Keynote Systems, Inc.           voice   (415) 524-3011
Two West Fifth Avenue           fax     (415) 524-3099
San Mateo, CA 94402             main #  (415) 524-3000
http://www.keynote.com

"A great Internet application experience is all a matter
of customer perspective."