nanog mailing list archives

Anti-SPAM announcement from AT&T Worldnet (fwd)

From: Jim Carroll <jim () carroll com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 17:28:25 -0500

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:08:44 -0500
From: Jonathan Clark <jhc () lynxhub att com>
To: spam-list () psc edu, nanog () merit edu, spam () zorch sf-bay org
Subject: Anti-SPAM announcement from AT&T Worldnet

AT&T Worldnet announces that starting Monday, March 31 1997,
it will be taking action to stop email from non-AT&T Worldnet
account holders being relayed through its servers.

We have reserved the right to treat such mail any way we deem appropriate,
which may include deleting it without notification to the originator.

Please address any questions about this policy to abuse () worldnet att net.

 This should really be treated as a warning message to  mail  administrators
 everywhere.  If  you  have not already implemented mail-relay blocking, you
 should think seriously about adding it now.

 When AT&T starts the filtering, those senders "hijacking" AT&T mail servers
 will go searching for alterate  servers;  sort  of  like  rats  fleeing  an
 abandoned warehouse that is now being renovated.

---
Jim C., President       | C A R R O L L - N E T, Inc.
201-488-1332 voice      | New Jersey's Premier Internet Service Provider
201-487-5717 dialup     |
http://www.carroll.com  | Ask about our Business Web Services