nanog mailing list archives

Re: Traffic Engineering

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:03:56 -0400

On Wed, Sep 17, 1997 at 02:34:40PM -0500, John A. Tamplin wrote:
This doesn't seem to be technically difficult, and it seems like it
ought to be pretty easy to sell... sure, you're one hop further from
the backbone... but you're now two hops away from _10_.

Sane?  I should be looking for capital?  :-)

Are there any major potholes in this theory that I'm missing?

We do this already, but the main problem we run into is customers are
hesitant to buy services from a direct competitor.  Doesn't matter that we
are cheaper or have good connectivity, but that they don't want to have to
sell against who they are buying services from.  The fact the MCI/Sprint/etc
all sell local access doesn't seem to bother them as much.

Ok... so only sell to resellers?  Does that cut too far into the profit
margin?

We have been successful doing this, but it is definitely a hard sell.
And this is with the advantage that we are offering ATM connectivity to a
local exchange service at cheaper prices than can be had anywhere around.

Hmmm....

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology