nanog mailing list archives

Re: Transaction Based Settlements Encourage Waste (was Re: BBN /GTEI)

From: steve () altrina exodus net
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 13:34:18 -0700

On Sun, Aug 30, 1998 at 08:30:50PM -0700, Brett_Watson () enron net wrote:
well alright, they're not perfect but i seriously doubt that if an isp
customer (anyone's customer) disputed pulling down a 1.5M .zip file
sometime last month as part of their overall usage sensative bill that said
isp could show the customer proof in the log files or captured packet
traces.  my only point was that we have a long way to go on the isp side.

        Now doesn't that open a whole new can of worms, logging the sites
that a customer hits, or worse, sniffing packets and logging them.  The
legality of this starts to feel a little questoinalble.  I would also fear the
day these 'records' were pulled into a court case, or worse...

--
Steven O. Noble -- Sr. Backbone Engineer, Exodus Communications (EXDS)
                     --   Work:408.346.2333  --