nanog mailing list archives

Re: ** Forged spamming going on

From: alex () nac net
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:23:33 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Robert Tarrall wrote:

alex () nac net wrote:
-> some luser off of AT&T DIalup is using mailme.com (my domain) for relaying
-> mail:

You forgot:

4) Deny relaying, which sendmail 8.9.1a will do by default (has worked
  great for us so far), and

You didn't read the email thoroughly.

A user dialed into ATT, sent thousands of emails to aol.com users, with a
forged return-address of youarecool () mailme com, which AOL bounces back to
youarecool () mailme com, which is a domain I own.

Relaying on my machines has no bearing on this.

5) Deny access to dial-access.att.net (and dialsprint.net, da.uu.net,
  pub-ip.psi.net, etc) which is what we're doing here just because we
  get so much spam directly from such dialup accounts these days.

Still wouldn't fix it, as AOL is the one sending me the mails (bounces).

Anyone have a list of legitimate outgoing SMTP servers for the big dialup
companies (UUnet, PSI, Concentric, AT&T, Sprint, etc)?  So far I haven't had
any complaints about blocking stuff like da.uu.net, but I'd like to make sure
that legitimate email can still get through.

That still wouldn't fix this problem, but I may do this seperately.

                      -Robert Tarrall.-
                      System/Network Admin
                      E Central

     Atheism is a non-prophet organization. I route, therefore I am.
       Alex Rubenstein, alex () nac net, KC2BUO, ISP/C Charter Member
               Father of the Network and Head Bottle-Washer
     Net Access Corporation, 9 Mt. Pleasant Tpk., Denville, NJ 07834
 Don't choose a spineless ISP; we have more backbone!  http://www.nac.net