nanog mailing list archives

Re: Multicast and Digex?

From: "Steve Hultquist" <ssh () HSAnet net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:09:34 -0700

--On Thursday, February 12, 1998, 1:28 PM -0500 "Eric Germann"
<ekgermann () cctec com> wrote:

Anyone from Digex here?  Send me a note to discuss multicast routing.
Your
Private Network Services client said "Huh?" when asked about setting me up
for multicast.

I asked this of them during the most recent meeting and received this in
reply:

Steve,

Mbone is not supported robustly enough by the versions of Cisco IOS that
DIGEX runs on our core routers.  We run standard unicast packages, and
multicast support is not in demand enough to see stable releases.
Additionally, bandwidth problems with current multicast routing structures
are high enough to warrant additional waiting before we implement this
service across our backbone after software stability has been achieved.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Richard White, Shift Mgr.
Business Connectivity Technical Support
--
Steve Hultquist, Chief Technology Officer                       HSAnet
providing high-speed Internet access                 Boulder, Colorado