nanog mailing list archives

Re: Denial of Service Attacks disguised as Spam...

From: Eric Osborne <osborne () notcom com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:01:14 -0500 (EST)

[The purpose of this note is to change your thinking about Spam]

Enormous amounts of this so-called "spam" is nothing of the sort, it
is malicious people using mail ports to conduct denial of service
attacks. And the sooner we wake up to this fact the better.

We need a new word for this and to publicize this new
attitude. Because as soon as someone says "spam" all that comes to
mind is a Sanford Wallace type pathetically trying to make a buck with
annoying advertising, and people (in particular law enforcement) just
won't give "annoying advertising" a moment's thought.

Good point.  Perhaps the best analogies for the law types are the junk-faxing
laws.  It's outsiders maliciously consuming a particular resource.

The fact that not one of these is getting past our filters doesn't
seem to discourage this person, not even over a period of days.

Yeah, but the person sending them may not be able to tell that they're
not getting through.

I don't believe this person is actually selling anything.

Can I repeat that?

      I DON'T BELIEVE THIS PERSON IS ACTUALLY SELLING ANYTHING

Out of curiosity, have you looked at the content of the message?  It's
interesting that this may be a DoS attack, where there are other things one
can do to try and deny service.

(Although, setting up somebody else's mail server to repeatedly connect is
in fact a pretty legit DoS in and of itself...)

We're being fooled, we're allowing criminals to operate without
challenge.

--
        -Barry Shein

Are they criminals?  I don't know if I want to get into a debate about
"criminal" vs. "doing something nasty that's not been declared illegal".
Either way, I agree that there should be moved to curb this sort of repeated
contact, whether it's a deliberate attack or not.

eric