nanog mailing list archives

Re: Load balancing/Multiple CNAME's (Was: Re: Beyond DNS...)

From: shields () crosslink net (Michael Shields)
Date: 05 Jun 1998 23:56:10 +0000

In article <35788244.55A2D71 () san rr com>,
Studded <Studded () san rr com> wrote:
For the same reason you can't CNAME a zone's root to something else
(meaning, if I am setting up the zone map for n.ml.org, I can CNAME
web.n.ml.org to narnia.n.ml.org,

      Right.

but I can't CNAME n.ml.org to
narnia.n.ml.org, nor can I CNAME n.ml.org to ftp.microsoft.com, or any
other host),

      Why not?

Because you cannot have CNAME RRs along with any other RR, including
NS and SOA.  DNSSEC RRs are excepted.

      Finally, if you plan to disagree with anything in this post, please
quote chapter and verse from the relevant RFC. I've spent a lot of time
studying this topic and am quite sure of my facts.

RFC 2181 section 10.1.
--
Shields, CrossLink.