nanog mailing list archives

Lucent Sues Cisco

From: James Glave <james () wired com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:44:04 -0700

Anyone familiar with the history here and care to comment for a Wired
article? I'll pass on more details as they emerge if folks are
interested...  -james () wired com

LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES FILES PATENT INFRINGEMENT LAWSUIT
AGAINST CISCO SYSTEMS; SEEKS DAMAGES AND INJUNCTIVE RELIEF

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: THURSDAY, JUNE 18, 1998
MURRAY HILL, N.J. - Lucent Technologies today filed a patent infringement
lawsuit against Cisco Systems of San Jose, California.

Filed in U.S. District Court in Delaware, the lawsuit charges Cisco with
infringing eight patents related to data networking.  The patents cover Bell
Labs-developed technology associated with routers, frame relay network
equipment and Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) equipment.

"After numerous attempts to negotiate with Cisco, we were left with no other
recourse but to file suit," said Michael Greene, Lucent Technologies'
president of Intellectual Property.  "We license our patents to many
companies in the industry, and our goal is to receive fair value for Bell
Labs' discoveries and innovations - innovations that are the result of more
than $3 billion in annual investment.  We're looking to protect our
intellectual property with the appropriate agreements and for proper
compensation."

In its suit, Lucent will be seeking damages for Cisco Systems' infringement
of its patents and an injunction prohibiting Cisco's use of its patents in
the future.

James Glave, Senior Technology Writer
Wired News http://www.wired.com  (415) 276-8430